Place:


Northwold  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northwold like this:

NORTHWOLD, a village and a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wissey, 4 miles S E by E of Stoke Ferry, and 6½ N by W of Brandon r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Brandon, and a fair on 30 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlet of Whittington. ...


Acres, 5, 232. Real property, £8, 274. Pop., 1, 370. Houses, 298. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged once to Burhill, the friend of Raleigh; and belongs now to H. S. Partridge, Esq. There are several fine residences, a large chalk-pit, and an extensive malt-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £950.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is large and handsome; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower of the 14th century, surmounted by ten spirelets; has anornate oak roof in the nave; and contains remains of ashrine. There are a handsome recent Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £132.

Northwold through time

Northwold is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northwold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northwold in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2914

Date accessed: 13th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northwold ".