Place:


Monks Risborough  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monks Risborough like this:

RISBOROUGH-MONKS, a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands near Icknield-street, and under the Chiltern hills, 1½ mile N E of Princes-Risborough r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Askett, Lower Cadsdean, Upper Cadsdean, Meadle, Owlswick, and Whiteleaf; and its post town is Princes-Risborough, under Tring. ...


Acres, 3, 220. Real property, £4, 244. Pop., 985. Houses, 204. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, in 995, to Christchurch, Canterbury. Askett Lodge is the seat of Sir F. B. Morland, Bart. Old Placewas a monastic farm, and was destroyed in 1859. A.cross, 100 feet by 70, is on the chalky side of one of the Chiltern hills; and is believed to have been cut by the Saxons, to commemorate some victory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £700.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient and interesting, and was recently restored. A school-chapelwas built at Owlswick in 1866. There are a Baptistchapel, a national school, and charities £33. Archbishop Potter was rector.

Monks Risborough through time

Monks Risborough is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monks Risborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monks Risborough, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2888

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monks Risborough ".