In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Moreton like this:
MORETON (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Wallingford district, Berks. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Thames, near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles N W of Wallingford-Road r. station, and 4 WSW of Wallingford; and has a post office under Wallingford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Fulscot, and comprises 1,470 acres. Real property, £2,711. Pop., 371. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Sadgrove, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The church is early English, in good condition; and comprises two aisles, part of one of which forms the chancel. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Moreton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Moreton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Moreton, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Moreton".