In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartley like this:
HARTLEY, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; 2 miles SW of Meopham r. statien, and 6 SE of Dartford. Post town, Meopham, under Gravesend. Acres, 1, 178. Real property, £1, 572. Pop., 244. Houses, 47. Some of the land is under hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £275. Patron, ReV. E. Allen. The church was restored in 1862. There is a national school..
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hartley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sevenoaks. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hartley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartley, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hartley".