In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandinam like this:
LLANDINAM, a village and a parish in Newtown district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Severn, adjacent to the Oswestry, Welshpool, and Llanidloes railway, 5¾ miles NE by N of Llanidloes; is romantically situated on the brink of a cliff overhanging the river, and at the foot of the Llandinam mountains; and has a station on the railway and a head post office, designated Llandinam, Montgomeryshire. The parish contains also the townships of Carned, Dethynydd, Eskirnaen, Gwernerin, Hengynwydd, Maesmawr, Rhydfaes, and Trewythan. ...
Acres, 18,064. Real property, £8,885. Pop., 1,574. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. The Llandinam mountains form a range, rising to the height of 1,895 feet. An ancient camp, about 600 feet long, is on Cefn-Carnedd; and there are three other ancient camps. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Banhaglog, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £500. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church was built out of one of the ancient camps, has a curious wooden belfry, and was reported in 1859 as bad. Charities, £18.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llandinam has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llandinam and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandinam, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llandinam".