In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elstree like this:
ELSTREE, or Idlestree, a parish in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford; and a village partly in this parish and partly in the Middlesex parishes of Little Stanmore and Edgware. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3 miles NNW of Edgware; and has a Post office designated Elstree, Herts, and a railway station. The parish comprises 1, 370 acres. Real property, £3, 761. Pop., 402. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the abbey of St. Albans; and passed to the Denings, the Briscoes, and the Byngs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £304.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good and handsome; and has a modern tower and spire. The remains of William Weare, who was murdered in 1823 by Thurtell, Probert, and Hunt, lie in the churchyard. Charities, £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elstree has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hertsmere. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elstree and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elstree, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elstree".