In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merrow like this:
MERROW, a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands under downs of its own name, 2¼ miles ENE of Guildford r. station; and has a post office under Guildford. The parish comprises 1,608 acres. Real property, £2,394. Pop. in 1 851,278; in 1861,363. Houses, 69. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of several good houses. Part of the land was once royal demesne; and most belongs now to Earl Onslow. A large portion is open down; and one part has Guildford race course, long disused. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £250. Patron, Earl Onslow. The church was rebuilt in 1842; consists of nave, S aisle and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains the burying-place of the Onslow family. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Merrow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Guildford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Merrow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merrow, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Merrow".