In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shotton like this:
SHOTTON, a township and a chapelry in Easington parish, Durham. The township lies adjacent to the Hartlepooland Sunderland railway, 2 miles S of Easington; has a side-station, of the name of Shotton-Bridge, on the railway; contains the village of Shotton-Colliery, which has a post-office at Castle Eden; and extends eastward to the coast. Acres, 3,853; of which 173 are water. Real property, £4,818; of which £1,200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,607; in 1861, 1,871. Houses, 355. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Durham. ...
There are brick and tile works.The chapelry includes also part of Haswell township. Pop., 3,600. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of D. The principal church was built in 1852; and a chapel of ease at Haswell in 1867. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a colliery school and library.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shotton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Easington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shotton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shotton, in Easington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shotton".