In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Medomsley like this:
MEDOMSLEY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Lanchester parish, Durham. The village stands on a branch of the Stanhope and Tyne railway, ¾ of a mile ENE of Watling-street, 1¾ E of the river Derwent at the boundary with Northumberland, and 2½ NE of ShotleyBridge; and has a post office under Gateshead. The township comprises 4,823 acres. Real property, £13,014; of which £20 are in quarries, £4,211 in mines, and £3,600 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851,840; in 1861, 1,296. ...
Houses, 259. The property is divided among a few. Medomsley Hall was the birth-place of Dr Hunter, the physician and antiquary. The Scots crossed the Derwent adjacent to Medomsley, in 1644, by "a treebridge.',-.The chapelry is less extensive than the township. Pop., 856. The living is a p. curacy in the dio cese of Durham. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is early English; has an E window of three lancet lights; contains, below the altar-steps, two curious sculptured-heads of a king and a bishop; and was recently in very bad condition.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Medomsley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derwentside. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Medomsley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Medomsley, in Derwentside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Medomsley".