In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tissington like this:
TISSINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Ashborne district, Derby; 4 miles N of Ashborne r. station. Post town, Parwich, under Ashborne. Acres, 2,316. Real property, £5,157. Pop., 403. Houses, 72. The manor, with T. Hall, belonged to the Savages; passed to the Meynelles, the Clintons, the Herthulls, the Corkaynes, and others; and belongs now to Sir W. Fitzherbert, Bart. There are cotton mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield Value, £97.* Patron, Sir W. Fitzherbert, Bart. The church is Norman. There are a free school, and charities £23. Graves wrote here some part of his "Spiritual Quixote."
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tissington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derbyshire Dales. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tissington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tissington in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tissington".