In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston on Wye like this:
PRESTON-UPON-WYE, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on the river Wye, 3 miles S of Moorhampton r. station, and 6½ S by W of Weobly. Post-town, Hereford. Acres, 1, 379. Real property, £2, 370. Pop., 277. Houses, 57. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Blakemere, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is good.
Preston on Wye is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston on Wye itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston on Wye in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston on Wye ".