In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withington like this:
WITHINGTON, a parish, with W. village and Preston-Wynne chapelry, in the district and county of Hereford; on the Hereford and Worcester railway, 4½ miles NE by E of Hereford. It has a post-office under Hereford, and a r. station. Acres, 2,392. Real property, £5,646. Pop., 970. Houses, 204. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of H. The church was repaired in 1859, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel, and an endowed school with £14 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Withington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Withington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withington in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Withington".