In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mary Hill like this:
MARY-HILL (ST.), a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the river Ogmore, near the South Wales railway, 3¼ miles E of Bridgend. It contains the hamlet of Rythin; and its Post town is Cowbridge. Acres, 1,404. Real property, £933. Pop., 252. Houses, 48. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £90. Patron, Sir T. D. Aubrey, Bart. The church is good; and there are charities £4. A cattle fair is held on 26 Aug.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Mary Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of The Vale of Glamorgan. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Mary Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mary Hill in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Mary Hill".