In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calke like this:
CALKE, or Caulk, a parish in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and county of Derby; on the SE verge of the county, 4 miles N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post Town, Ticknall, under Derby. Acres, 880. Real property, £987. Pop., 78. Houses, 14. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in 1160, by the Countess of Chester; a mansion on the site of the priory, and called Calke-Abbey, was erected, in the early part of last century, by Sir John Harpur; and this is now the seat of Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £34. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church was built in 1826; is a handsome Gothic edifice, with a square tower; and contains a fine monument to the Harpurs.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Calke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Calke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calke in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Calke".