In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Widley like this:
WIDLEY, a parish in Fareham district, Hants; under Portsdown hill, 1¾ mile N by E of Cosham r. station, and 4 NNE of Portsmouth. It includes Potwell village and part of Cosham, the latter of which has a post-office, designated Cosham, Hants. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £2,664. Pop. in 1851, 565; in 1861, 725. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with Wymering, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £678.* Patron, the Rev. G. Nagée. The church has been rebuilt.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Widley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Portsmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Widley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Widley, in Portsmouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Widley".