In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Dean like this:
DEAN (East), a parish in Romsey district, Hants; on the Southampton and Salisbury canal, adjacent to the Salisbury railway and to the boundary with Wilts, 1 mile ESE of Dean r. station, and 6¼ NW of Romsey. Post town, Mottisfont, under Romsey. Acres, 1, 060. Real property, £1, 198. Pop., 223. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Mottisfont, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was reported in 1859 as bad.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Dean has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Dean and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Dean, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Dean".