In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterton like this:
WINTERTON, a parish, with a village, in Flegg district, Norfolk; on the coast, 8 miles N by W of Yarmouth r. station. It had once a market and a fair; and it gives the title of Earl to the family of Turnour. Post town, Yarmouth. Acres, 1,515; of which 220 are water. Real property, £1,648. Pop., 682. Houses, 156. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winterton. Hill house is the seat of W. B. Hume, Esq. W. light house stands on elevated ground; was erected in 1867; and shows a fixed light, visible at the distance of 14 miles. There are a considerable fishery, and a coastguard station. The living is a rectory, united with East Somerton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £540.* Patron, the Rev. W. Green. The church is old but good; and has an embattled tower, 120 feet high. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Great Yarmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterton, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterton".