In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cakeham like this:
CAKEHAM, a manor in West Wittering parish, Sussex; on the east side of Chichester harbour, 6½ miles SW of Chichester. A palace of the Bishops of Chichester formerly stood here; and a lofty brick hexagonal tower connected with it, and built in the early part of the 16th century by Bishop Sherborne, still stands.
Additional information about this locality is available for West Wittering
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cakeham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cakeham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cakeham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cakeham".