In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfynydd like this:
LLANFYNYDD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Llandilo-fawr district, Carmarthen. The village stands on an affluent of the river Towy, 6 miles NW of Llandilo-fawr r. station; and has fairs on 5 July, 13 Aug., and 11 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlets of Brisken, Cathilas, Clynynnos, Crachyty, Eskercam, Eskerevan, Cilangwr, Eskergarn, Gothylon, Pan tarfion, Cornoyron, Penrhos, and Cwmban; and its posttown is Dryslwyn, under Carmarthen. Acres, 10,744. Real property, £4,017. ...
Pop. in 1851,1,376; in 1861, 1,230. Houses, 253. The decrease of pop. arose from the migration of agricultural labourers to mining and manufacturing localities. The property is subdivided. There are remains of an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £.150. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Egwad, and was restored in 1861. There are an endowed school with £37 a year, and other charities £23.The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 11,790. Pop., 1,410. Houses, 289.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanfynydd has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanfynydd and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfynydd in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanfynydd".