In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanway All Saints like this:
STANWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 W by S of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish contains Lexden workhouse, and comprises 3,368 acres. Real property, £5,611. Pop., 964. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. S. Hall is the seat of G. De Horne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £738.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a national school. See Stanway-All Saints.The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 17,338. Pop., 4,663. Houses, 918.
The location is that of the ruins of Stanway All Saints church, which the Victoria County History of Essex describes as "beside Stanway Hall in Great Stanway" ('Stanway: Churches', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 270-273; http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15277, accessed: 17 September 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Stanway
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanway All Saints has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanway All Saints and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanway All Saints, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanway All Saints".