In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gardden like this:
GARTHEN, a place on the SE border of Denbighshire; on Offa's dyke, 1½ mile S of Ruabon. Here is an ancient British camp of 4 acres; and here an English force was defeated, in 1161, by Cyfeiliog, prince of Powys. Garthen Hall is the seat of the Walmsleys; and Pen-y-gar-then was the seat of Rear-Admiral Sir John Marshall.
Additional information about this locality is available for Rhiwabon
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gardden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wrexham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gardden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gardden, in Wrexham and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gardden".