In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hendon like this:
HENDON, a chapelry in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham; on the coast, at the N terminus of the Hartlepool and Sunderland railway, in the southern outskirts of Sunderland. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Sunderland. It was constituted in 1854. Pop., 11, 451. Houses, 1, 685. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. * Patron, the Rector of Bishop-Wearmouth. See Wearmouth and SUNDERLAND.
Additional information about this locality is available for Sunderland
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hendon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sunderland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hendon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hendon, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hendon".