In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oulton like this:
OULTON, a township, with a village, in Wigton parish, Cumberland; near an affluent of the river Wampool, 2 miles N N W of Wigton. Real property, £2, 958. Pop., 416. Houses, 92. A number of the inhabitantsare employed in neighbouring cotton mills and dye-works. There is a Baptist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oulton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oulton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oulton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oulton".