In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barony like this:
BARONY, a township in St. Andrew-Auckland parish, Durham; on the river Gannless, and on the Northern Counties Union railway, at Evenwood station, 7 miles SW of Bishop-Auckland. It includes the hamlet of Evenwood; contains extensive coal-mines; and belongs to the Bishop of Durham. Acres, 5,336. Real property, £10,247,-of which £4,820 are in mines. Pop., 2,674. Houses, 518.
The location is that within the village of Evenwood given by the English Heritage Pastscape web site (http://www.pastscape.org/hob.aspx?hob_id=21952, accessed 16 Dec 2011) for The Barony: "Site of the manor house of the Bishops of Durham. A moated site, formerly occupied by a castle or tower. The manor house was demolished in 1826 after a long period of decay and the site is now occupied by a farmhouse. Part of the moat is still visible as an earthwork." The name "Barony" has not been found on a topographic map other than as part of the name of the township and parish, "Evenwood and Barony". Additional information about this locality is available for Evenwood
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barony has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teesdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barony and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barony, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barony".