In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Lane like this:
HIGH LANE, a chapelry in the parishes of Prestbury and Stockport, Cheshire; near the North-western railway, 4½ miles S of Stockport. It was constituted in 1860; and it has a post office under Stockport. Pop., 1, 193. Houses, 225. Pop. of the Stockport portion, 1, 135. Houses, 215. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The church was opened in 1859, and is in the Norman style. There is a national school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Hazel Grove
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing High Lane has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering High Lane and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Lane, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "High Lane".