In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grimesthorpe like this:
GRIMESTHORPE, a village in Brightside Bierlow township, Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles N of Sheffield. It has extensive cutlery works, a Wesleyan chapel, a Free Methodist chapel, and a national school; and near it are the Victuallers' hospital, with a monument in front to the late Mr. Wiley. Near it also is an ancient camp.
Additional information about this locality is available for Brightside
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grimesthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sheffield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grimesthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimesthorpe, in Sheffield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grimesthorpe".