In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pontrhydfen like this:
PONTRHYDYVEN, a hamlet in the centre of Glamorgan; on the river Avon, 5 miles N N E of Aberavon. It has a post-office under Taibach. A water-wheel hereis driven by a stream brought from the opposite side of the valley, on a stone aqueduct 460 feet long.
Additional information about this locality is available for Michaelstone super Avon
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pontrhydfen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Neath Port Talbot. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pontrhydfen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pontrhydfen, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pontrhydfen".