In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hafod Y Porth like this:
HAVOD-Y-PORTH, a hamlet in Margam parish, Glamorgan; 3 miles SE of Aberavon. It contains the village of Taibach. Real property, £11, 387. Pop., 2, 502. Collieries and the copper works of Taibach are here.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hafod Y Porth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Neath Port Talbot. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hafod Y Porth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hafod Y Porth, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hafod Y Porth".