In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dolphinholme like this:
DOLPHINHOLME, a chapelry in Cockerham parish, Lancashire; near Scorton r. station, 6 ½ miles S. of Lancaster. It has a post office under Lancaster. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £100.* Patron, H. Garnett, Esq. The church was built in 1840. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Cockerham
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dolphinholme has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wyre. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dolphinholme and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dolphinholme, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dolphinholme".