In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chesterfield like this:
Chesterfield.-- mun. bor., par., and township with ry. sta. Derbyshire, 11 miles S. of Sheffield -- par., 11,451 ac., pop. 29,039; township and bor., 328 ac., pop. 12,221; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; has mfrs. of lace, merino, silk, cotton, earthenware, and hardware, while the neighbourhood is rich in coal, iron, lead, and clay. The trade of the place greatly increased after 1776, when Brindley constructed the C. Canal. C. has a free grammar-school, founded by Queen Elizabeth, and an institute of mining, civil, and mechanical engineers. It is a place of great antiquity, having been a Roman station on the road from Derby to York. C. has a fine church (All Saints) with a twisted spire, 230 ft. high.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chesterfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chesterfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chesterfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterfield in Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chesterfield".