In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dilton like this:
DILTON, a chapelry in Westbury parish, Wilts; on the Westbury and Yeovil and the Somerset and Wey-mouth railways, 2 miles SW of Westbury. Post town, Dilton-Marsh, under Westbury. Pop. returned with the parish. Dilton Court is the seat of Col. Phipps. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Westbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is old and small.
Additional information about this locality is available for Westbury
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dilton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dilton".