In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helme like this:
HELME, a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile NE of Meltham, and 2¾ WSW of Honley r. station. It was constituted in 1858; and its post town is Meltham, under Huddersfield. Pop., 787. Houses, 149. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patrons, W. Brook, Esq., and the Vicar of Almondbury. The church was built in 1859; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire.
Additional information about this locality is available for Meltham
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Helme has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Helme and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helme, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Helme".