In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsecar like this:
ELSECAR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Wath-upon-Dearne parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet is in the township of Brampton-Bierlow; lies 2¼ miles SSW of Wombwell r. station, and 5 ½ SF of Barnesley; and has a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £4, 500. Pop., 1, 912. Houses, 353. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, not reported.* Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is good.
Additional information about this locality is available for Hoyland Nether
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elsecar has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Barnsley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elsecar and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsecar, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elsecar".