In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buttershaw like this:
BUTTERSHAW, a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire, near Bradford; constituted in 1842. Post Town, Bradford. Rated property, £4,334. Pop., 2,247. Houses, 505. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200.* Patron,Hardy, Esq. The church was built in 1838; and a handsome Independent chapel was built in 1868.
Additional information about this locality is available for Bradford
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Buttershaw has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Buttershaw and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buttershaw, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Buttershaw".