In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Low Wood like this:
LOW WOOD, a large inn on the W border of Westmoreland; on the shore of Windermere, 2 miles SSE of Ambleside. It forms a fine centre to tourists; and it was extensively enlarged and improved in 1858-9.
Additional information about this locality is available for Applethwaite
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Low Wood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Low Wood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Low Wood, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Low Wood".