In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:
SUTTON-NEAR-SEAFORD, a quondam parish, now incorporated with Seaford parish, in Sussex; ¾ of a mile NE of Seaford town. Sutton-Sandore manor, with S. House, belongs to Mrs. Major Harrison; and Sutton-Peverell manor belongs to Dr. T. Smith.
Additional information about this locality is available for Seaford
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sutton".