In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longport like this:
LONGPORT, a village in Burslem township and parish, Stafford; on a branch of the Trent canal, and suburban to Burslem. It has a post office, under Stoke-upon-Trent, and several wharves on the canal; it carries on the manufacture of earthenware, porcelain. and flint. glass; and it contains Burslem-St. Paul's church, and several dissenting chapels. See BURSLEM.
Additional information about this locality is available for Burslem
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longport has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stoke on Trent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longport and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longport, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longport".