In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:
MIDDLETON, a township-chapelry in Bitterley parish, Salop; on an affluent of the river Teme, 2 miles NE of Ludlow r. station. It has a post office under Ludlow. Real property, £2,251. Pop., 198. The manor belongs to Sir W. R. Boughton, Bart. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bitterley, in the diocese of Hereford.
Additional information about this locality is available for Bitterley
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Shropshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middleton".