In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyford like this:
LYFORD, a chapelry in West Hanney parish, Berks; on the river Ock, in Whitehorse vale, 2½ miles NNW of Wantage-Road r. station, and 4 N of Wantage. Post town, Wantage. Acres, 1,070. Real property, £1, 438. Pop., 149. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90. * Patron, Worcester College, Oxford. The church is good, and there are alms houses for 16 persons.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lyford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lyford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyford, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lyford".