In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castleton like this:
CASTLETON, a village in Danby parish, N R. Yorkshire; on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 7½ miles SE of Guisbrough. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post office under Yarm, and a weekly market.
Additional information about this locality is available for Danby
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Castleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scarborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Castleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castleton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Castleton".