In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Salterhebble like this:
SALTERHEBBLE, a village and a chapelry in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile S of Halifax, and has a post-office under Halifax. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 4, 258. Houses, 897. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £160.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1858; and is in the early English style, with a lofty spire. There are a U. Free Methodist chapel, and a large national school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Halifax
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Salterhebble has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Calderdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Salterhebble and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Salterhebble, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Salterhebble".