In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helsby like this:
HELSBY, a village and a township in Frodsham parish, Cheshire. The village stands adjacent to the intersection of the Hooton and Northwich railway with the Chester and Manchester railway, at the foot of a range of hills, 2¼ miles SW of Frodsham; and has stations on the railways. The township comprises 1, 261 acres. Real property, £2, 849; of which £65 are in quarries. Pop., 570. Houses, 112. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley. There are a school-church and Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Helsby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Helsby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helsby, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Helsby".