In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caersws like this:
CAERSWS, a hamlet in Llanwnog parish, Montgomery; on the Sarn-Sws Roman way, the Machynlleth railway, and the river Severn, 5½ miles WNW of Newtown. It has a r. station, a post office under Shrewsbury, and three dissenting chapels. Pop., 342. A Roman station was here, commanding the neighbouring passes; and a camp still exists, enclosing about 4 acres. A farmhouse is within the enclosure, and many Roman remains have been found.
Additional information about this locality is available for Llanwnnog
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caersws has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caersws and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caersws, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caersws".