In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pillgwenlly like this:
PILL-GWENLLY, a chapelry in St. Woollos parish Monmouth; on the river Usk, immediately below Newport. It contains the Newport docks, and part of Newport town; and has a post-office‡ under Newport, Monmouth. Pop., about 7,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. See Newport.
Additional information about this locality is available for Newport
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pillgwenlly has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pillgwenlly and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pillgwenlly, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pillgwenlly".