In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Waterhead like this:
WATERHEAD, a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Oldham r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post-office, of the name of W. Mill, under Oldham. Rated property, £14,729. Pop., 3,941. Houses, 823. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early English style. There are national schools.
The location is that of Holy Trinity church, Waterhead. The name "Waterhead Mill" appears near this location on our OS First Series map. Additional information about this locality is available for Oldham
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Waterhead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oldham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Waterhead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waterhead, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Waterhead".