In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Borrowash like this:
BORROWASH, a village in Ockbrook parish, Derbyshire; on the Midland railway, near the Derby canal and the Derwent river, 4 ½ miles ESE of Derby. It has a station on the railway, a post office under Derby, a Wesleyan chapel, a cotton and lace factory, and flourmills. Elvaston Castle, the seat of the Earl of Harrington, is near it.
Additional information about this locality is available for Ockbrook
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Borrowash has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Borrowash and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Borrowash, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Borrowash".