In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston By Sutton like this:
ASTON-BY-SUTTON, or Aston-Sutton, a township chapelry in Runcorn parish, Cheshire; on the Northwestern railway and the Weaver river, near Preston-Brook r. station, and 3 miles E by N of Frodsham. It includes a place called Middleton-Grange, sometimes deemed extra-parochial; and its Post Town is Preston-Brook. Acres, 1,012. Real property, £3,021. Pop., 207. Houses, 38. Aston Hall here is the seat of Sir Arthur Aston, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £88. Patron, Sir A. Aston, Bart. The original church was at Middleton; and the present one contains an old lectern.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Aston By Sutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Aston By Sutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston by Sutton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Aston By Sutton".