In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cooling like this:
COOLING, or Cowling, a parish in Hoo district, Kent; on the Thames, 3¼ miles NE of Higham r. station, and 5 N of Rochester. Post town, Cliffe, under Rochester. Acres, 1, 544. Real property, £3, 386. Pop., 121. Houses, 22. The manor belonged to Duke Eadulf; and went to the Cobhams. A moated castle, of square form, with machicolated gateway, flanked by two round towers, was built here in the time of Richard II.; and sustained a siege by Sir Thomas Wyatt, in the time of Queen Mary. The gatehouse still stands in tolerable preservation; and other parts, after having become ruinous, were converted into a farm-house. A tract of marsh extends from the vicinity of the castle to the Thames. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600. Patron, Rev. T. A. Hooper. . The church is ancient, with a tower, and has a double piscina and a brass of 1508.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cooling has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Medway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cooling and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cooling, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cooling".