In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowsthorpe like this:
KNOSTROP, a village in the township and parish of Leeds, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, 1½ mile SE of Leeds. Knostrop Hall, an ancient mansion, is the seat of E. J. Maude, Esq. Market gardens and coal mines are in the neighbourhood.
Additional information about this locality is available for Leeds
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knowsthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knowsthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowsthorpe, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 16th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knowsthorpe".