In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanddowror like this:
LLANDOWROR, a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; near the river Taff, 3 miles SW of St. Clears r. station, and 3½ NW by N of Laugharne. Posttown, St. Clears. Acres, 1,783. Real property, £1,264. Pop. in 1851,403; in 1861,339. Houses, 75. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the discontinuance of a large hotel. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £132.* Patron, Lord Milford. The church contains a monument to a former rector, G. Jones, by Mrs. Bevan, the foundress of the Welsh circulating schools; and it was reported in 1859 as bad.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanddowror has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanddowror and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanddowror in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanddowror".